Posted by : Kuromi Wednesday 15 June 2016

Hello again friends! Kuromi's back with another Nostalgia Hours segment. Sorry for not posting anything these few days. I've been busy with moving back to the dorms in campus. It took a bit of time before I finally settled in, so thank you for those who checked out my blog even during my absence. But enough with that, let's move on! Today's Nostalgia Hours will be featuring, yeah you guessed it, Cardcaptor Sakura! This show is a classic favourite of mine, but I'm sure you fanboys and fangirls out there love this show as well when you've watched it. I'm holding her stick right now when writing this, her magic wand, not a different kind of stick, you pervert. 

Synopsis

Oh dear, here comes the laziness syndrome again... I-I can't... my hand...!

Sakura Kinomoto is your garden-variety ten-year-old fourth grader, until one day, she stumbles upon a mysterious book containing a set of cards. Unfortunately, she has little time to divine what the cards mean because she accidentally stirs up a magical gust of wind and unintentionally scatters the cards all over the world. Suddenly awakened from the book, the Beast of the Seal, Keroberos (nicknamed Kero-chan), tells Sakura that she has released the mystical Clow Cards created by the sorcerer Clow Reed. The Cards are no ordinary playthings. Each of them possesses incredible powers, and because they like acting independently, Clow sealed all the Cards within a book. Now that the Cards are set free, they pose a grave danger upon the world, and it is up to Sakura to prevent the Cards from causing a catastrophe! Appointing Sakura the title of "the Cardcaptor" and granting her the Sealed Key, Keroberos tasks her with finding and recapturing all the Cards. Alongside her best friend Tomoyo Daidouji, and with Kero-chan's guidance, Sakura must learn to balance her new secret duty with the everyday troubles of a young girl involving love, family, and school, all while she takes flight on her magical adventures as Sakura the Cardcaptor. 

.... I've copy pasted from Wikia again... 




on to the next part...


Story



Lemme' see... an everyday slice-of-life, undercover superhero/magical girl, shoujo love story, even possibility of yuri love story... Naaaaah! But that Tomoyo x Sakura vibe, though...
Basically, it has every element that targets the young female audience. But I bet there are a lot of guys growing up with this series as well, just like you guys did with Sailor Moon. (Me too actually ufufu...).
The series got that 'monster of the week' trope as its core element. But since it was a long series it fit in nicely so there's no complaints there.

Since it was CLAMP that produced this story, so of course there's gonna be a shoujo love story. If you'll make an exception to Black and White ,that is. The romance was mild, but enough to make you swoon. There are 'hnnnngg' moments here and there but it was not that focused much. Ah, the innocent days.

So far, everything's great until you reached it's humor element. What's up with the dry 'tea party' jokes? The only thing that this show can carry through its humor is by poor little Kero's slapstick.  And I hate to say this but I don't think Shaoran's tsun tsun hit the right spots. I might laughed a little on some points but I really don't get their jokes most of the times to be honest, even until now.

Art

Long series equals to changing art styles. This holds true to Cardcaptor Sakura series as well. And now they've announced there's going to be a new season, I bet the style will be improved along time. But nevertheless, this is one of the earliest shows to make vibrant colours as one of their main asset. I swear my eyes dazzled each time Sakura transforms and fights the card creatures. At least until the first time I actually realized I have mild epilepsy. But what really attracts me is  that this show was the first 'moe' anime I've watched and dang, those outfits, I thought I could be a  fashion designer before when I redraw Sakura in her different outfits. But dreams don't come true...

Music
Her transformation and battle scenes. The BGMs were... muah... amazing. There are a lot of critics out there saying it's pretty sh*tty but to my ears, they were divine. Hats off to the composer. I don't know who's the composer is, I'm barely using my memories here. However, let's not forget the  memorable opening song of the anime:

Though I still love the first ending song more.

================================

So I guess that's all I got for now. By the way, CLAMP is going to launch a new Cardcaptor Sakura manga sequel right at this month, this year! They will be running it in Kodansha's Nakayoshi magazine. It had been running since June 3, so it's best to catch up now! The story features Sakura in her first year in junior high school. Yes, that's right, she's just in her first year in junior high school, feeling old yet?

Well that's all from me, I'm Kuromi signing out. As always, keep on reading.

Leave a Reply

I'm all ears guys. Let's discuss stuff!

Subscribe to Posts | Subscribe to Comments

- Copyright © OtaKuromi - Blogger Templates - Powered by Blogger - Designed by Johanes Djogan -