Posted by : Kuromi Friday 8 July 2016




Hello, guys! Kuromi here, back with an original article out of the whim. Today I'll be talking about what can motivate or demotivate you while gaming. Well, at least to me, perhaps. But I'm sure some of you out there might be agreeing with me on this. So without further ado, let us begin.

Okay, let's take a look at what demotivates you from playing games then we'll look into things that can overcome these, things that actually motivates you to play games. So I'll be listing down things that made me personally turned off from gaming hype. I won't be putting it in order, it's merely a list so don't misunderstand the gravity of each cases.

1. Too much games, so little time

It happens all the time to us players. We have so much games at hand and we feel that we must finished them all as soon as possible. If you're a kid gifted in a luxurious family with nothing to worry about life, then this won't be a problem. But if you're a college student from a family with normal income like me, this is a really BIG problem. There are works, assignments, homework, activities and more that can really messed up our gaming time. I know, it sounded like gaming have more priority than the others, but we're not talking about ethics here turn around and sit at the "I thought I'm right" corner, you goody-two-shoes. When you think about time, it always felt like it's a bummer and I never even touched my games.

So basically, to tackle this problem is nothing more than just mere time management. Yes, sounds very cliche, but it's the truth, so suck on it. Always plan what to play, how long do you play it, and stick with that schedule. I actually end up finishing long-hard visual novels like Katawa Shoujo and Maji de Watashi ni Koi Shinasai with this method. And of course, if you got free time and had no one to hang out with, you can fill it with gaming time. So remember, kids, manage your time. Teens and adults should also take note of this.

2. Casual games VS Story-driven games

This is one of the most demotivating factors for me when playing video games. Remember when you arranged your games in your games library where you put a Mario party game next to a horror or action adventure game? Yes, that is a real turn off. Why? Because everytime I take a look at those two games, I can't decide if I want to play an instant game or a plot-filled game. It's a matter of convenience over quality, and you'll feel like if you play one of those games, then you will never play the other. Thus, you might remove the game without ever playing it, at least that's what happened with me.

So it's still about managing. Take turns on the kinds of game you want to play. If today you're playing Mario Kart, then you should play Tomb Raider on the next day. By taking turns, you'll be able to finish your plot-filled games without ever abandoning your instant casual games. For me, I set what games to play on what day of the week. This actually helps if you're playing games like Dissidia where they gave you bonus stuffs when playing on your preferred day of playing which you set on the first time you play the game.

3. 'Tried Hard' games

There's nothing more frustrating than playing a game that clearly shows how desperate the developers wanted their games to sell. These came with a variety of ways to 'sell out' their product. For example, heavily sexualize content (Bayonetta series), publicity over content (Sonic series), milking franchises  (Persona 4 franchise), and of course, freemium games (all those Facebook and mobile app games). It hurts to see how much they put into the elements that they believe to bring them in more revenue. Credits to their effort, but forking players to actually buy their products? I don't even want to play Persona 4 Ultimax. Really glad that they finally focus on Persona 5.

Hear me out, okay. I'm not asking you guys to NOT to play these games, I'm just saying that these kind of games really put me off personally. If it's your cup of tea, then by all means keep on playing. You enjoyed it, then there's nothing wrong. I still wish to play Persona 4 Golden myself. To overcome this, I usually just play it when I'm really bored or I have nothing else to play at the moment. Simple as that.

4. The 'Console Barrier'

Honestly, this is the most frustrating, if not, the most heartbreaking factor of them all. Currently, I only own a Gameboy Advance, an NDS Lite, PSP 2000, Playstation One and 2, and my trusty ultrabook laptop (Dell Vostro). Remember that I said I love the Shin Megami Tensei and Fire Emblem series? Yeap, the latest games of the series both are only available for the 3DS. Not to mention the crossover of the series is now on the Wii U. Oh, and so as the PokeMon games, especially Sun and Moon. Haha, I really love my life...

Well there's very little you can do about this matter. To me, I simply hassle a good friend of mine to play some of the games. Or I revert back to the old days of emulating games (which I actually still do, on some games only). Or perhaps, find a job, save money and finally buy the said console. However, there are some cases that those games might ported to your available consoles. Like Zero Escape - Zero Time Dilemma which is originally released for the 3DS and PS Vita had been ported to PC. Yes, I'm playing it right now. So watch out for a review soon enough.

5. Community

What? You're expecting something else? Pfft. Well the last one that usually turn me off from playing a game is of course, the player community of the game. This usually applied to massively multiplayer online (MMO) games. The cases can be varied from toxic players, elitists, or a dead community. To those who know me, now you know why I don't play Dota 2 and League of Legends. I also on the verge of quitting Dofus 2 and Wakfu because of the community that seemed pretty much dead. If you're not playing MMOs and you think you're safe, no no no... it's the same case as well. Bunch of players forcing their strategies in the face of others on how to play Magicka, group of players starting out propaganda of which meta build to go with when playing Yu Gi Oh! video games and many more.

So to overcome this very depressing issue, all you need to do is very simple. Find at least one like-minded friend. Trust me, your whole gamin experience just turned 180 degrees once you did. It is much better if you can get a group of friends. I still run with several guild mates in Dofus 2 and that's what keeping me from retiring from that game. Just try not to turn you and your friends into those assholes stated above yourselves. Or you're just contributing to some other players' depression.

Final Summation

Well then guys, whenever you want to play a game or while you ARE playing a game, there will be a lot of things that will make you feel depressed or demotivated. It's inevitable. However, it doesn't mean it's the end of game, and of course not the world. The above are just the tip of the ice berg of examples of depressing or demotivating factors in gaming. But each of them had ways to overcome those awful feelings. That means whenever you're stuck with those feelings, there are always be ways to motivate yourself back to play games. Who says gaming doesn't need to have mood while playing, huh?

Well that's all for me today. Thank you for reading this shitty rant, it's very much appreciated. I'm Kuromi signing out, and as always, keep on reading. 

Leave a Reply

I'm all ears guys. Let's discuss stuff!

Subscribe to Posts | Subscribe to Comments

- Copyright © OtaKuromi - Blogger Templates - Powered by Blogger - Designed by Johanes Djogan -