Posted by : Nov Thursday 26 May 2016


Hey guys, what's up? Kuromi's back again with our weekly Nostalgia Hours segment. Since you slimey perverts love my previous post on the topic of 'hentai', we're going to look at one of the classic ecchi anime that most of us had grown up with (at least to me, that is). But I'm going to disappoint you guys right here and now to tell you that today's anime has very little ecchi to 'service' your 'needs'.

Our Nostalgia Hours anime for today is, Jubei-chan: The Ninja Girl. The series was cut into two parts, kind of like two seasons, but in  a different matter. Since I am, as you guys already know, pretty lazy, I'm just gonna give you guys a brief overview of the two parts. Now, I try not too spoil everything of this show cause' it is simply a classic gem.

The First Arc: The Secret of the Lovely Eyepatch

The first arc was entitled The Secret of the Lovely Eyepatch. Yes, I know, really cheesy. It was aired in 1999. I'm too lazy to give the exact date so just bear it with me. The first time I saw this arc was through Animax, and it's the first time I had watch (soft) ecchi anime. However, unlike today's ecchi anime that shows fanservice scenes in like every 5 minutes, this anime actually used the ecchi element for crucial plot progressor instead of just being fillers. 


"You must find my heir, he must be plump and have bouncy bon bons" - Yagyu Jubei I


I'll admit, she's one of my childhood anime crush
The first arc was my favourite. This arc shows how Jiyu (the protagonist) gets her magical eyepatch, learns her responsibility as the incarnate swordsman and faced odds that tests both her strength in body and spirit.

The ending was actually quite touching. It really made me shipped Jiyu and Koinousuke. I guess that's the time when I first shipping characters while I still don't know what the hell does that mean back then.

The anime may be short, as in 13 episodes only, but it does something that no other short 12-13 episode anime have done today: follow through plot progression.

Most short anime today contain plot such as this: Beginning, Fillers, Cramped End. However, this anime completes all beginning, rising action, climax, falling action and ending... all in just 13 episode! The only thing that dampened this pro is the 'monster of the week' style in the early epidodes. However, the plot saved the day and actually made this anime a classic exemplary anime.

Don't forget the music. Most of the music, including opening and ending songs used in this anime were simply enjoyable. But one thing that I can't forget was the background music when Jiyu transforms into Yagyu Jubei and fights of the assassins that were chasing her. 



The Second Arc: The Counterattack of Siberia Yagyu


T/L: "My father, Yagyu Jubei's Sword technique should be inherited by me." - Freesia
To tell you the truth, I haven't really finished off the second arc. By the time it was aired on Animax, my cable TV was cut off. It was one of the toughest phase in my life, I tell ya'. Anime had become a part of me by that time and I don't have internet back then to stream (if it even had streaming sites back then). I was lost in those days.

But before it got cut off, I managed to watch a few episodes. The second arc was entitled The Counterattack of Siberia Yagyu. In this arc, it was introduced to us a new character named Freesia. She's supposed to be the real daughter of the late first Yagyu Jubei. She claimed that she's the true heir of the Lovely Eyepatch which Jiyu is wearing. While she doesn't have the Lovely Eyepatch, Freesia dons a Spade Eyepatch which also gave her the same swordsmanship as Yagyu Jubei II. Thus, the story continues as Jiyu and Freesia develop their friendship as well as rivalry.

It's too bad I couldn't finished off the second arc. The animation team had made the animation quality, music and story much, muuuch better than the first arc. Fret not, my dear readers. I'll try to rewatch this classic gem and give you guys my review on it.


----------

Well guys, that's all for today's Nostalgia Hours. I hope you guys had a good read. Sorry for the late post, I'll promise to actually use the schedule function for the next post. Stay tune for the next Nostalgia Hours on the next Thursday. I'm Kuromi signing out, see you guys soon and keep on reading.

Leave a Reply

I'm all ears guys. Let's discuss stuff!

Subscribe to Posts | Subscribe to Comments

- Copyright © OtaKuromi - Blogger Templates - Powered by Blogger - Designed by Johanes Djogan -